HYS Concerto Competition
Entry Deadline: See Members' Handbok
Entry Fee: $50.00
The Concerto Competition is used to select soloists to perform with their orchestra at one of our scheduled concerts. Any Symphony member may apply. There is an entry fee of $50. The Symphony conductor must approve all repertoire beforehand for suitability of performance by the orchestra, as well as for the availability of the orchestral parts. The number of concerto winners is dependent on the season’s repertoire. The competition is usually held in November.
- Open to Symphony members only.
- Concerto Competition Forms and $50 entry fee must be submitted by deadline in Members' Handbook.
- You may play a single-movement work (like Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso) or one movement of a multi-movement concerto. Repertoire must be approved by the conductor prior to the submission of an application. You will be notified if your piece is acceptable by your conductor within two weeks of submission.
- Pieces must be timed accurately, including all tuttis, and submitted on the entry form.
- Movements must be 10 minutes or less, unless approved by the conductor.
- Works must be memorized. Please provide the original music and two copies for the three adjudicators.
- Piano accompanists must be used and provided by the applicant.
- For the purposes of the audition, your accompanist must cut long orchestral tuttis.
- Each audition lasts approximately 8 minutes, allowing 2 minutes of each 10-minute slot for entering, tuning and leaving. The panel may interrupt you if your piece, as prepared for audition, lasts longer than 8 minutes.
- The audition schedule, once finalized, is strictly adhered to and you forfeit your opportunity to play if you are tardy.
- Taped auditions are not
- Winners of the Concerto Competition must wait one full season before applying again.